Monday, April 27, 2009

Too little, too late...

I saw my grandmother, Manuela, for the first time in six years on Saturday. She was visiting from Texas. It was a reunion of mixed emotion. I was so happy to see her and I hugged her so tight and kissed her so much, but so sad because I wonder if it’s the last time I’ll see her and there are so many things unsaid. So many things that I want to know about her. But I’d have to ask my father to translate and I don’t want to embarrass her.
Every year the little bit of English that she remembers dwindles a little more. My Spanish skills are almost non-existent from the few years I studied in high school almost 15 years ago.
When I walked into my Aunt’s house, where my grandmother was staying, after the gratuitous hugs and kisses the first thing she asked me was if I was hungry. Just like a Grandmother always does. I said I was starving. I excused myself for a minute and when I came to the kitchen I was surprised (but not really) to see a huge plate of food waiting for me that consisted of an enormous roast beef sandwich with at least three pieces of cheese, a half (yes, a half) of a sliced pineapple, 4 sugar cookies the size of my hands and a pint glass full of milk. Then she assured me not to worry. The tortillas would be ready in a minute. Only a grandmother would feed you like that. I ate every bite of it.
As I sat there eating we just looked at each other and smiled. She said “You know my English, not so good no more, but if you’re happy mija, I’m happy too.” I assured her that I was very happy.
I told her how excited I was for my boyfriend to meet her, how I talked about her all the time. She said “If he no meet me, he no miss much. Twenty years ago, no wrinkles, better.” I laughed and told her she was beautiful, that she was in her prime.
I sat there watching her as she hustled around the kitchen like she always had since I can remember, thinking about times that we’d shared. We were so close when I was a child before she and my grandfather moved back to Texas. My grandmother didn’t want to go, her children and me, her only grandchild until 5 years ago, were all here in Illinois. But she went.
I used to spend every Sunday with her. I remembered our walks to the ice cream shop, the awesome turquoise genie costume she made me for Halloween when I was 7, so awesome that I played dress up in it well until it didn’t fit anymore. I remembered my stuffed kitty that grew mold on it after it was left outside in the rain and how she magically restored it to just like new.
I remembered how she helped me write a letter to my parents the first time I spent the night because I thought that they’d left me. She assured me they’d be back in a few hours but I was adamant. She walked me to the mailbox well after 10 p.m. and let me mail the letter.
I remembered when I was 15, visiting Brownsville when she tried to teach me how to make tortillas from scratch so I could impress my future husband. I was appalled at the amount of Crisco she used and thought if I cooked for my husband like that every day I’d kill him for sure. So I tried my best to learn in case that was a skill I would need in the future. But no such luck. I could never get my tortillas round like hers. Mine always looked like different countries on a map. I swear I made Italy once. My tortilla had a boot!
I think of these things and I watch her and I smile. I smile like an idiot, like a silent film actress, so she will know how happy I am to see her and how much she means to me and how well I’m doing. I smile with the hope that she knows how much I really do love her and how sorry I am that I never made more of an effort.
It’s my fault that I haven’t seen her in such a long time. I could have made more time. We talk at birthdays and holidays but we can only say so much. I’m always too busy. Too busy to make a five minute phone call or take 3 days off, too busy for life. Being too busy is catching up to me.
The older I get the more I realize what I take for granted. My grandmother is going home soon, home to my grandfather who is losing his mind to Alzheimer’s and as I write this I’m telling myself that enough is enough and from now on I will call her everyday just to hear her voice and tell her that I love her.
But I know myself and I know how I make these little resolutions and then never follow through because there’s always tomorrow, until there isn’t.

4 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful thing to read. When my Grandmother passed a few years ago, I had a panic induced moment. What about all the questions I never asked? What will happen to our family history? But I have come to realize, they are still alive. It is just a little harder to find them now that certain loved ones are gone.

    I was very moved by this post, in a way that I am failing to express. I don't want to sound cheesy, or corny...but I do think part of growing up is learning to deal with the things that were left unsaid.

    Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa you have me in tears right now,please do call her when you're able to,she would love to here from you.Love You Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I too,like your dad,am in tears.I hate how the language barrier has truly separated you from such a wonderful woman.You know that we,(my mom,Jacquie and Johnny) are so lucky to have them here, especially your grandmother. She is and has always been such an angel to all of us, especially my kids. She has a kind heart and has always been very thoughtful with my kids. She definitely has earned her spot in heaven caring for your grandfather all these years. Because we all know how tough her life has been. After the passing of my aunt Elvia (my mom's sister and best friend) three years ago, Tia Manuela became mom's best friend, not a day goes by that they are chatting for hours on the phone, a thing that she doesn't even do with 2 of the 3 sisters she has living here in Brownsville. I usually have her join us anytime we have family events so that she can get away from her usual routine. I know that you are very special to her and although you don't see each other as often as she would like, she always talks lovingly about you. And yes as you get older you realize that life is flying by and some of the things that were important to you no longer are...but always keep in mind that there are some things that can never be replaced...time being one of them. You write beautifully and you would make your grandmother so happy if she started receiving weekly letters from you...Surprise her. Can you imagine what she would feel if she read this blog about your childhood memories and the feelings you have for her? Break all barriers, it's truly worth it...Don't worry about them being in English, she will make an effort and if not, she's always got me to translate. Ok, so enough for today. I hope that I haven't been out of step here for blogging..but I was so touched by your piece about your "Grandmother Manuela". Looking forward to your next blog. Keep up the good work. Love it.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete